Anyone going in costume?

Hellion44

:WAVE:

Thank you Elwyn! Thats really nice of you to say. I hope it lives up to expectations now... I'd love to see yours. I'm fascinated by all the recreated costumes out here on the net. They are so well done. My fabric was £3.95 per metre so not quite as good as your 50p a metre fabric!

This course is so stressful. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves costume but the stress is sometimes an issue. :blink:

That coronation gown is beautiful! Well done.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

If I could figure out how to get a picture of it on here I would. I am no good at computery stuff. I have tried attaching it and inserting it but..

The fabric was 50P a metre because it had a dying error. It has mottled dark patches. I actually liked it more because of that.

If you are interested in history I do not think you will be dissapointed. There is an entrance fee and a large queue. But I have a great time there. There was two halls full of traders there last year. There are fabric vendors amoungst them. There are a lot of medieval traders and one or two with gorgeous hip belts.

It feels a little like a convention for re enactors. Every one is friendly and the traders are happy to give advice. We will have to meet up!

It is easy to spend too much. Some of it is expensive as it is all hand made. We know how time consuming that is!

I'm done with stress. After having to leave work because of it! It's is better to make Elf Dresses.

Luckily I have been beading for about 17 years now. It is something I picked up as a child. It is not something I had to learn for elf stuff. I had to adapt though. The 'Gladdy' hip belt was a challenge. It is magical. I was not keen on the existing design. I thought I could design my own. I was pleased with the results. I am not so good at dressmaking though. That does not stop me.

I'll have to check this Dapets out. Thank you. We can not have too many resources. I'll check out the beading site.

I do not plan to wear anything 'ordinary' the whole week end. I have made a little elf suit for going down to have breakfast in the mornings.

Are we mad? At least we are happy!

Jo/Elwyn

:blink:

Edited by Elwyn

Mich,

I've seen you now. I remember. You are in the Elven grove on Alleysctatch. Beautiful.

When I get some good piccies I will have to give them some of my stuff. I'd love to be in the Elven Grove.

I can not find a web site for Dapets.

Back to the sequins and beads....

Edited by Elwyn

Elwyn,

Which day are you going to the re-enactors market? I'd love to meet up - get some tips (and anyone else of course).

I too can't upload a photo here but there's a (bad) picture of me at www.groups.yahoo.com/groups/parvum (I'm the short one, front row, second from right, green T-shirt) anyway I'll make sure I wear my Evenstar necklace.

Having never been to a "proper" convention where people dress up, I'm unsure of the norm. Are most of the costumes close replicas of those in the films or do some people try to do their own designs just taking inspiration from the films?

I prefer the latter as I'd like to wear the results out normally and don't want to look like toooooo much of a geek.

Heather

Mich,

I've seen you now. I remember. You are in the Elven grove on Alleysctatch. Beautiful.

When I get some good piccies I will have to give them some of my stuff. I'd love to be in the Elven Grove.

I can not find a web site for Dapets.

Back to the sequins and beads....

http://www.dapet.co.uk/index1.htm

There ya go Hun,

Troy on the forum here works there.They are lovely, and if you give them a call they will send you swatches etc.

Having never been to a "proper" convention where people dress up, I'm unsure of the norm. Are most of the costumes close replicas of those in the films or do some people try to do their own designs just taking inspiration from the films?

I prefer the latter as I'd like to wear the results out normally and don't want to look like toooooo much of a geek.

Heather

Heather, that's a very good question. From my experience at TFF there was a strong bias to film-replica coming from many fans such that all the good film-replicas got applause at the Masquerade but the own design or based on an illustration stuff seemed not to get much reaction, except form book-first fans who appreciated the idea and work. Although the ElvenTailor and JediElfQueen appreciated the work and efforts made, whatever the design's origins.

At TS events pre-film, or Worldcons, people doing Tolkien character costumes have generally worked up their own costume concept and been appreciated for that. Now TS events see people doing a mix, and both get equal appreciation for look and work.

:help:

Heather we will be there on Saturday. I'll wear my Even Star too. There will be loads of people. We may not bump into eachother. There is a Cafe area. How about meet there not long after doors open? (After we have queued for half an hour etc.) And any one else coming can meet there too. We can have a pre con laugh.

In the past I have made my own interpretations of the movie costumes. I can not get hold of all that lovely fabric. I suppose they do look quite similar to the actual ones in the movies. I have also worn a gown not like anything in the movie and got a good response. A cloak I made out of mottled blue/green stretch velvet got a good feedback too. I do not think I saw any of those in the movie.

For me it is an excuse to wear some sumptuous stuff. Although I have now made a replica of Arwen's 'dying' gown, although I am not sure I'll actually wear it yet. People like to see the actual copies more I think. I am one of those people though who apreciate all creativity. I respect those who are prepared to design their own stuff. That is a little harder. But you will see all sorts there, if TFF is anything to go by. I know the Elven Taylor was keen to design his own individual stuff. I hope we will see him at Ring Con.

People appreciate the work put into a costume or dress no matter if it is a replica or an interpretation.

But, if you enter the competitions (which I won't) perhaps a copy is more appropriate? I do not know. What do you guys think?

Have a look at the Elven Grove on Alley Scratch. That may give you an idea.

Mich, Thanks for the link. It is now in my favourites. I will get on to it after I am done here!

Back to the dresses.

Getting more excited as the days go by!

Jo/Elwyn

:thumbup::P

Thanks for the info guys. I have a much better idea of what to expect now.

Elwyn, I'm with you. No plans to enter the competitions, I just see the weekend as an excuse to swan around in velvet.

It's unlikely I'll make it to TORN by opening time (I'm having a totally exhausting week :YAHOO: , and having to get up super early on Saturday may just finish me off :thumbup: ). How about noon, in the cafe as you suggested?

Heather

:blush:

Sorry.

Thats OK. We will be up in the Cafe at noon anyway. We plan to eat about then. If you leave the meal till the evening they have ran out of everything anyway! So we will meet noonish in the cafe. The cafe is up stairs if they haven't moved it.

You may find it a little awkward parking a bit later. They have an overflow carpark in a field. Our car is not up to that. So we like to try and get on the hardcore park, that means getting there early.

Swanning around in velvet. MMMm. Can't wait.

I think this dress I am working on will be my last. I have spent too much money. I can not afford to make anything else...yet. It's in a lovely shimmery fabric I bought locally.

:dance:

Oh, I have a web site a good friend is making for me. We plan to get some of my costumes/dresses on there! It is a work in progress though.

http://johanneshorter.bravehost.com/

If any one is interested keep watching that space.

He he.

Megga excited Elwyn.

:YAHOO:

Yeah, I was completely blown away by all the Elven stuff in the movie. They created an image of a rich culture that was better than what I had imagined. It sparked a creative fire with in me.

Good luck with the Elf costume WaldMaid. Have you got one? What are you planning?

See you tomorrow Heather.

:yoda:

A still excited Elwyn.

Edited by Elwyn

Cor, Voronwe

I missed your piccie on Pg 1. That is a fantastic costume. Will you wear it this year?

I love it totally.

Jo

:thumbup: Thanks, Elwyn, that is so kind.

Yes I probably will.

I'm working on a new outfit for another show in Fulda so I'll be able to bring both to RingConUK.

Wish I was elf-shaped, the gowns are so lovely, looking forward to seeing yours.

Maybe your hubby could come as a man of Rohan - that's sort of Saxonish!

Hallo Elwyn,

i have two dresses i will wear. Both are made of an underdress and an overdress.

One ist darkblue, velvet and silk. It has stichery at the hem (the ring slogan 10cm high in gold) and the trees Telperion and Laurelin in the front (in gold and silver with pearls 35cm high). The other one is in grey velvet and silk. The overdress is complet embroidered wtih with trees (they have flowers made of pearls).

I would show you an picture but i don't now how ist works :thumbup:

Have a nice day

;)

It was great to see you on Saturday Heather. I hope you did not spend too much (like me :unsure: ) Self restraint does not come naturally to me. There was some amazing fabrics there wasn't there? I'll see you again at another show at least! I hope you will start working on a costume. It is fun. Thanks for leaving such a kind message on my guest book!

Waldmaid. Your stuff sounds drop dead gorgeous. As I said earlier I wish I had the skills you guys have. But what I lack in skill I make up for in enthusiasm.

MMM Velvet and Silk.... :wub:

I can not work out how to get a picture on here either.

Voronwe, Andy may wear his re enactment kit. Seeing as he does Saxon re enactment. It is not as flash as the movie costumes but it is historically accurate. Even the funny Smurf hat hehe. I can not convince him to go the whole hog though. I could add bits to his historical kit to Rohan it up a little? He does lack the beautiful flowing locks though. He would need a wig. hehe.

Your Gondor costume is great. It has inspired me to carry on designing my own stuff. I used to design my own elf costumes but have become side tracked by the actual movie costumes. My more recent creations have been more movie like. The one I am currently working on though (sewing the concealed zip in by hand because I do not have the right zipper foot) is not in the movie. It is a little more original. It is a conglomerate of a number of dresses that never made it into the movies and some of my own touches (if it all comes together that is).

I have a web site with some of my stuff on. It is in construction though. I have just one dress on there at the moment.

http://johanneshorter.bravehost.com/

I hope it's OK.

A friend is making the site for me. We are working on the pictures at the moment.

Back to the concealed zip. Sigh,

Edited by Elwyn

:lol:

Looks to the ground sheepishly.

Your stuff IS GREAT. :P Mutual respect to you all!

If I am good then it is only because of you guys out there. We all spur eachother on. We keep eachother going. I was and am inspired by all of you. I hope We will inspire a lot of other people to live their dream. Life is too short!

We have chosen our path and are happy on it. Others are invited to join us on the road too.

:YAHOO:

Welcome to the costume corner!

New members are always welcome.

What sort of costumes have you made? How did you go about them? Any Pictures?

I think we are all a friendly bunch. So do not worry. This is the only forum I am a member of as I am not a brave person. I feel at comfortable here. (The last Homely house?)

The only previous forum (the first one I ever joined) was a LOTR one too. I knew absolutely nothing about forums. But I find it all fun now.

I am still beading my shiney mauve dress for the convention. It is not a copy of any in the movies. It is a little more original this time. If it ever gets finished it may appear on my little web site. I do not know how to get pictures on here. Then I have more embroidery planned on a dress I wore to TFF. Then another I have not designed yet but I have the fabric for. It will keep me very busy until November.

Good Luck! And enjoy yourself!

;)

Elwyn (JO)

Hi all,

I may be going crazy but my current plan is to copy a movie costume - but not from LOTR......

I was watching The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe and just fell in love with Susan's coronation gown:

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/sucoronation.asp

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/exhibits/bli...Susan_1_med.jpg

I think it's in keeping with Elvish costumes (plus Tolkien and C S Lewis were chums) and I don't think I'll have to worry about anyone else wearing the same outfit.

Just need to wait until payday, when I can buy the fabric and get going.

Heather

I think it's in keeping with Elvish costumes (plus Tolkien and C S Lewis were chums) and I don't think I'll have to worry about anyone else wearing the same outfit.

That is a great idea, Heather. The gown is lovely and very Elven so it will fit right in.

Wow. Wyrd One The embroidery on the sleeve of Arwen's chase dress is magnificent. How did you do it? I wish I could embroider like that! Are you going to wear a costume to another show?

Heather/Lazer. That gown looks sumptuous. And it has princess seams so it will fit very well. Yes, roll on pay day. I would love to see progress on that one! Some of the fabrics we saw at the market would really suit a gown like that. How is the fabric sourcing going?

Elwyn/Jo

:blink:

Wow. Wyrd One The embroidery on the sleeve of Arwen's chase dress is magnificent. How did you do it? I wish I could embroider like that! Are you going to wear a costume to another show?

Elwyn/Jo

Hi Jo,

I made this costume for the opening ceremony for the first another show, I was already working on the Elven Armour at the time, and the deadline was aproaching fast! So I didn't do the embroiderie on the sleeves, as I didn't have time so I enlisted the help of my BF's mum. I did the collar and the "baseball stich" on the princess seam, which is also embroidered and took much longer than anticipated.

How it was done was pretty simple, I copied the design of the sleeve and collar and using decal paper I reproduced the design on the fabric with a white pencil, then I slavishly went over the design. The stiches aren't complex at all, but the fabric I used, which was a heavy peach skin, was very dense and made the work very hard.

I'm currently working on a Shieldmaiden outfit for which I will do the embroidery on the corset/bodice. I'm still in the planning stages of the needle work, so more on that later, but i'm fairly slow!!!

Cheers

Edited by wyrdsister