Anyone going in costume?

Hellion44

I love the costume aspect of this event. That is a big draw for me. I love seeing everyone in their great outfits. It feels like you could be walking through Middle Earth.

Dwarves. That's a great idea.

I am about Dwarf Height!

Just finished a Medieval dress. I just can not wait until November!

If My husband wanted to go as an Orc he would not need any make up He he.

I could not help it but I am designing another Elf dress. I may have enough costumes for people to borrow by November.

Anyone else making anything?

Elwyn

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the costume aspect of this event. That is a big draw for me. I love seeing everyone in their great outfits. It feels like you could be walking through Middle Earth.

Dwarves. That's a great idea.

I am about Dwarf Height!

Just finished a Medieval dress. I just can not wait until November!

If My husband wanted to go as an Orc he would not need any make up He he.

I could not help it but I am designing another Elf dress. I may have enough costumes for people to borrow by November.

Anyone else making anything?

Elwyn

Me too! I love seeing the costumes, and to be honest, stealing some ideas for my next one!

At TFF there were some great costumes, but nothing like another show in Germany, where almost everybody dresses up. I was amazed at the quality and variety of costumes when I went last year. I am hoping to be able to do some research soon and be able to pick what dress I am going to make (I am a sucker for the gowns!) and start designing etc. I have my laptop back now so my unlimited interness access is back so I may start later tonight (I'm in work right now, overtime for cash for another show!!)

I am not sure if I will compete if there is a costume competition, and I will probably not sing!! But I can't wait to see all the other costumes! If anyone would like to see my costume from another show last year, see here ----> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/Lad...ia/IMG_4383.jpg or here ----->> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v690/Lad...owyn%20Funeral/

Edited by Lady_Tinania

:thumbup:

Wow,

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the picture with the cloak over your head. Your hair do is great!

Where did you go to get the pictures done. It looks beautiful.

There is a lot of detail in your costume. The trim on your cloak is lovely. Where did you get it?

I am still a learner. I can say that my stuff is not as great as yours.

Don't you feel great when you wear it! I know I do. I have had some fabric swatches arrive this morning. I am bursting with ideas. I love doing the research too. Sometimes I have to scale down my ideas.

I will have to find a way of getting some of my pictures out there. But I am useless with these computers.

I have never been abroad. So I have not seen all the other costumes. I can not afford it although I want to. Oh well. With the money I save I can buy more fabrics.

Elwyn

Thanx! The pictures were taken about 8 miles from my home, on top of a mountain. I was going for a Rohanish look.

I have not been making costumes for very long. I made two gowns for TFF in London in 2005, and they were my first. Not amazing but I was pleased with them. The one in the pictures took me ages to make and was only the third one I had made. And it was a definate improvement on the ones from the previous year. I even made my own dress form to help me out. I made another one to go with it but the pictures are at home (I might post them later). I got the trim for the cloak from Heritage Trading on Ebay, I buy loads from there as they have a great selection and shipping is quick. I made everything on the dress myself, even the belt, which was made out of sculpey clay and wire. I have been quite lucky with fabrics as I can get a good selection quite cheaply from a local market. I must have used about 20 meters of fabric on the funeral gown and cloak (two dress layers, with the top layer having a lining), and it only cost me about £15.

All this talk about costumes is making me very excited! I can't wait to start making the next one! I am itching to go and put one on just so I can waltz around with it on. I always feel disapointed after a con as I have to go back to wearing "normal" clothes!

Fifteen quid. That's good.

I use the internet to get my fabrics. I have made quite a few elf gowns now. I am addicted to them. I make my own clothes because I do not want to wear boring everyday stuff now. The costumes in the movie were breathtaking. I love swanning around a con as an elf. I also love meeting fellow LOTR fans in costume too. I usually just spend hours talking to other fans about dressmaking and stuff. I am self taught too. I wanted to learn how to make these wonderful things when I saw them. It is a passion now. I do some of my own embroidery. I have to because I find it hard to buy exactly what I want. Or I will buy a fabric and imbellish it further. I like to design my own stuff but using the dresses in the movies as a guide.

Back to the research!

Elwyn :thumbup:

I would love to have a new eowyn dress for RC this year as ive worn my current dress to 2 cons in the uk and to RC germany 2005. I had so much help with my first from my best friend but due to distance she doesn't have time to help me this time. Does any one have any tips for a first timer...gezz I don't even have a sewing machine!

This is the dress I'd like to make

Eowyn2.jpg

And this is my current dress

Eowyn.jpg?t=1172354807

Me wearing my dress & Miranda

Eowyn Dress

Rachel, your dress is beautiful! I would love to wear the green dress, though I'm not too keen on the patterned material used, would have looked nicer just as the green velvet.

Ellie

Mthinks a nice new elven gown will suit me nicely, I now have the advantage of my new fella and his friend working in a fabric warehouse and being able to get any fabric in any colour I want for nothing so I think i'll be able to go all out and do something really nice this time, just a little hacked off that ring con uk and the gmex event are the same month I really wannt go to both cos i have a tudor and an elizabethan gown in the works for the gmex. sob it's not fair!!!!!!!

:D

Rachel,

Well your dress is great.

Advice, I've been thinking. Keep it simple for your first venture. Some people buy a pattern and use that. If you do not want to go that way (I didn't) use a dress from your wardrobe that fits you well as a pattern. Do not buy expensive material for the first solo effort. That makes it less nerve racking. A sewing machine is very helpful. My first machine was a second hand one that cost a tenner. It worked when it felt like it. I used to browse the local newspaper's second hand ads. That's good. But these days I suppose there is Ebay!

Check out this site

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

It is fantastic. I use that a lot.

I do not make copies from the movie as I find the actual material hard to come by. I use what is going cheap. Markets are good. I have started using the internet to do my fabric shopping. I am buying from Cheap Fabrics UK and Whaleys of Bradford at the moment. But there are lots out there.

I hope that helps.

Contact me if you want more advice.

Elwyn

Hehe whaleys in bradford, lol I go past there on my way to work on the bus. lol Oh and my fella and his mate work there let me know what you need Rach (first time costumer gets priority as it's sooo expensive and scary at first) and i'll see what i can do, tho i can't guarantee anything, it might be worth a try tho. the web site is www.whaleys.co.uk

And rach don't worry my first dress was a total disaster i used a fabric which had a far too loose weave and it pulled apart at the seams when i tried it on for a fitting, and yeah markets are good, especially the asian ones as alot of the fabrics are beaded and embroidered already saving a massive job. it took 3 weeks to bead the sleeves on my last dress and it still ain't finished. lol

Yeh, I forgot to mention the things that do go wrong. The thing is not to let them get you down. Although that is hard at the time. Things go wrong even for the best of dressmakers. (Of which I am not one).

Ta, Liremaer. I am having a nightmare sourcing my chosen fabric at the moment. Whalleys have been really great so far. Lucky you, living so close to Whalleys. I wish I did. It can be expensive especially if you do not have any fabric markets any where near. I have my savings. When they run out..... Ah. Oh well.

The belt I embroidered took me three weeks of very long days. The effort is sooo worth it in the end though, Isn't it? Or are we just nutty? That won't stop me though!

I have bought a load of beads and embroidery thread for my next venture with plans to make it really sparkly.

For my very first venture I used a dress out of my wardrobe. I put colourful gores in the skirt and added a collar and made a quick Elven belt for it. It was a good starting point.

Are you going to another show? What are you making?

Boo hoo. My usual convention chum won't come to another show (probably because I threatened to dress up) so I'll have to go on my own - anyone else going on their own?

I have a medeval gown that's too big so I'll have to adjust it. I also plan to make another costume (maybe a hobbit to match my stature).

Everyone elses costumes look really great. Is it wrong to be so excited when it's so far away?

Rach let me know what you need that place does pretty much anything except faux suede (dammit) , my boyfriend (works at whaleys) just got me some stunning matte black satin with dragons woven in in a shiny thread, sooooo gonna make a pretty set of tudor stays with that and a skirt to go with (can't wait) , should have some nice purple stuff anytime soon for skirts as well, man i love this guy at the moment. lol

Oh and my stays are half way boned, I ran out of cable ties and had to order more. lol

Well, still not entirely sure if it's just postponed, or next year...but I'll go as Coronation Arwen...

what's a coronation elf? If I do go as an elf then I gotta order some latex ears lol

It's Arwen in her Coronation gown... :D

Sounds great. I've seen a pic of it (if you are who I think you are) and its good. If I go I will be wearing my costume legend that is my Legolas. I don't have any up to date pics at the mo. I do intend to do a photo shoot of my Leggy now that the quiver has been remade. I'll post it in the costume section.

:wub:

Well, if it's wrong in getting sooo excited... I'll join you. I can't wait.

The sparkly elven gown is off now. Oh well. There is lots of other stuff to make.

Wow, Ring Con with no costume. AHHH. What a thought. I am going with my husband, Who is not going to dress up either. I'm working on him. He has a Saxon re enacment kit he could wear. But he will not wear a costume.

Cor, Liremaer, Sounds too technical for me! But no doubt will look stunning! I am a Saxon re enactor. The ladies did not wear such gorgeous and technical stuff then. But is still fun. I use the name Elwyn as a re enactor. It means Elf Friend. I thought it was apt. The new re enacting season gets underway soon. I will have to think about this year's Saxon kit. Not as fun as Elven gowns. Although I am having a nightmare at the moment. Can your boy friend at Whalleys get any sparkly embroidered beaded and sequined silk chiffon in a pale yellow or pale gold? I look at their web site and they seem do stuff that people can modify themselves. LOL.

Have you tried the reneactors market at Coventry. You can get real suede there at reasonable prices. It will be held at the Connexion Centre next week end (15,16 & 17) March. There is loads of great stuff for costumes as well as re enacting. We will be there. Here is the web site:

http://www.reenactorsmarket.co.uk/

I hope it is useful.

Back to the Elven dresses.

Elwyn (Jo)

:D

Hmmmm......I have not quite decided what I am going to make yet. I was thinking about the Mourning Gown that Arwen wears in Two Towers, or there is this sketch that I have seen in the Art of the Two Towers book that I like. It reminds me of a grecian godess type dress.....we shall have to see.

Alleycatsratch is a great website. I have used it for all my costumes, and for the boyf's too! He went as a Ringwraith to TFF in 2005 and as Bormir to another show last year. His costume was hard work! I do all the sewing, and he does the other technical stuff. Except when I was making the funeral gown last year, he wouldn't help me with the belt - he said he was too clumsy and would wreck it. So I had to make it myself.

Anyways, I am very excited already! I need to start planning soon!

Rachel

Hey all I really hope I can come because I want to see all the amazing costumes you are all planning to wear!

This will be my first con in a costume so I'm quite nervous about it. I'm currently in the process of making Arwen's Farewell costume (though it's on hold at the moment while I finish my final major project for uni)

This is what it should look like:

ref3.jpg

And this is what it currently looks like:

DSCN2488.jpg

DSCN2450.jpg

It's a little lighter than I wanted it but the dye's I've tried didn't work too well. I might try again.

I also have a tiny question before I head over to Alley Cat Scratch. Does anyone know how I might go about making some latex ears? I study costume design and make at uni so I have full access to latex and other stuff so I thought about making my own. I thought about making a plaster mould of an ear and just coating that in latex but would that work?

Edited by Miss Kitty

:D:o

Wow, You are going to look stunning! I have made that one too. Not as good as yours. I have not worn it to any conventions yet. I should recognise you now. I used a similar fabric but in a mottled satin blue. I got it for 50p a metre. So I could not go wrong. It was the most technical thing I had attepted at the time. I hand did the embroidery. Except on the sash. I used white silk for the sash. I wanted the pale Lothlorien look.

There is a recipe for geletine ears on Alley Scratch. You know like the ones they used in the movie. I have not tried the recipe yet. I have had no luck with the Elven ears. I wear my hair long over my ears to conceal them.

Costume design. My friends say I should have gone into that field. But I am an ex data entry clerk.. Boring.

Currently off with stress and depression. I am too creative for that type of work. This is a great release for me.

Cor the mourning gown is soo dramatic. LOL.

Elwyn (Jo)

:WAVE:

Elwyn,

Thanks for the tip about the re-enactors market. I've never heard about it before but am definately going to try and get up there next week.

I'm currently working on the theory that a good velvet cloak will hide a multitude of sins, but don't know whether to buy one or try & make one.

Heather

Well, still not entirely sure if it's just postponed, or next year...but I'll go as Coronation Arwen...

what's a coronation elf? If I do go as an elf then I gotta order some latex ears lol

It's Arwen in her Coronation gown... :WINCE:

Sounds great. I've seen a pic of it (if you are who I think you are) and its good. If I go I will be wearing my costume legend that is my Legolas. I don't have any up to date pics at the mo. I do intend to do a photo shoot of my Leggy now that the quiver has been remade. I'll post it in the costume section.

Thank you.

It's this one:

CC1.jpg

But I can only go if they do day tickets...Post a couple here too when you've finished?

;)

I wish I had the skills you guys have.

I am working on a version of Arwen's 'Dying' dress. I am beading around the neckline at the moment. It's going OK. I am using cheap fabrics I have found on my travels. (Stretch Velvet and something I picked up in a bargain bin).

I hope you do get day tickets. I would love to see that gown in person. To dye for. How long did it take? What sort of fabrics did you use? How did you source them?

Heather, We'll meet you there! Who do I look out for? The market is great fun. I find it completely fascinating. Even if I am not buying anything. You should be able to buy a velvet cloak up there. If you can not find one I have one you could borrow. I like to make them myself. I use stretch velvet. This is good as it has a good drape and is cheap and does not need hemming. I use a full cirlce design so there is loads of fabric.

Jo.

I'm currently working on the theory that a good velvet cloak will hide a multitude of sins, but don't know whether to buy one or try & make one.

Heather

If you can get to the re-enactors market then do so, you'll find various merchants there with a wide range of cloaks in various cloths and styles with prices varying accordingly. But they're almost all generally very friendly and helpful, in my experience, when it comes to talking about making things and there are also cloth merchants who also sell patterns!

Enjoy!

I wish I had the skills you guys have.

I am working on a version of Arwen's 'Dying' dress. I am beading around the neckline at the moment. It's going OK. I am using cheap fabrics I have found on my travels. (Stretch Velvet and something I picked up in a bargain bin).

I hope you do get day tickets. I would love to see that gown in person. To dye for. How long did it take? What sort of fabrics did you use? How did you source them?

Heather, We'll meet you there! Who do I look out for? The market is great fun. I find it completely fascinating. Even if I am not buying anything. You should be able to buy a velvet cloak up there. If you can not find one I have one you could borrow. I like to make them myself. I use stretch velvet. This is good as it has a good drape and is cheap and does not need hemming. I use a full cirlce design so there is loads of fabric.

Jo.

;)

I sympathise with you on the beading.It takes forever.if you're interested I've got a tutorial here,( and just click on the link):

http://www.geocities.com/t5ank/page7.html

Oh, and my fabric was dirt cheap from Dapets textiles.They're great!

Edited by Mich