Harry Potter and...

Davey

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres a thought...

im rereading HBP and the minute and somethng occurred to me?

why did Dumbledore finally gove snape the DADA job? especially if DD knows about the curse and that no teacher will last more than a year. well... what if DD knew right from the beginning that snape would be leaving by the end of the year? the curse would ensure it and it would highlight to voldemort how 'good' snape was at agining dumbldores trust.

i just think it adds a little more weight to the 'snape is good 'theory.'

what do you think?

=x=

hi I'm a bit slow!! i've only just finished!!

but wasn't there something in the argument between DD and snape?? where snape said he didn't want to do it???? or am i just cracked?? could that have been DD telling snape that he had no choice but to kill him?? therefore i still think snape is good!! LOL :unsure::P

after all DD knew that snape had taken the unbreakable vow didn't he??

i'm a bit confused on where i read it but i'm sure harry informed DD at some point when he overheard snape and malfoy.

i can't wait til the next book and at least now that they aren't going back to hogwarts they have all the time they need to hunt voldy for years if thats the way JK wants to take it. I can't see Harry finding 4 horcrux's in a few months and destroying them can you??

heres a thought...

im rereading HBP and the minute and somethng occurred to me?

why did Dumbledore finally gove snape the DADA job? especially if DD knows about the curse and that no teacher will last more than a year. well... what if DD knew right from the beginning that snape would be leaving by the end of the year? the curse would ensure it and it would highlight to voldemort how 'good' snape was at agining dumbldores trust.

i just think it adds a little more weight to the 'snape is good 'theory.'

what do you think?

=x=

hi I'm a bit slow!! i've only just finished!!

but wasn't there something in the argument between DD and snape?? where snape said he didn't want to do it???? or am i just cracked?? could that have been DD telling snape that he had no choice but to kill him?? therefore i still think snape is good!! LOL :unsure::P

after all DD knew that snape had taken the unbreakable vow didn't he??

i'm a bit confused on where i read it but i'm sure harry informed DD at some point when he overheard snape and malfoy.

i can't wait til the next book and at least now that they aren't going back to hogwarts they have all the time they need to hunt voldy for years if thats the way JK wants to take it. I can't see Harry finding 4 horcrux's in a few months and destroying them can you??

yeah.. ive said about that argument. its just silly little things that keep popping up in my head. like....

im under the asumption that regulus would have needed to have someone with him to get to the locket. but who was it??? and if regulus was 19 at the time (according to lexicon) it has to be someone under 17. the boat would only take one wizard.

so who do we know that would be under 17 the year james and lily were killed?

=x=

I had guessed it was coming, but hadn't expected Dumbledore to die until book 7, the whole Obi Wan-Kenobi thing, with him having to die so that Luke, I mean Harry could then go on and defeat Voldemort.

The Ginny and Harry thing made sense, if you go back to the earlier books Ginny had had a crush on Harry before, and over the last two books she had really grown up and Harry had started seeing her not just as Ron's little sister. With her role in the DA, and also the Quidditch team it was always on the cards.

Now, concerning them splitting up, doesn't make sense, I know Harry is trying to be all noble and everything, but on the basis that he is rubbish at Occulemency and that Voldemort is most likely to target someone important to Harry, then Ginny would be the main target I would think if Voldemort wanted to lure Harry somewhere. I guess in a way he already did this previously with the Riddle diary, but I think she would probably be safer being with Harry, Ron and Hermione than not.

Is Snape good or bad, perhaps it is the whole Vader / Emperor thing going on here, and that Dumbledore knew that Snape had to get close again to Voldemort to get in his inner circle, he could only do this by killing Dumbledore and then when the final battle ensues between Harry and Voldemort, Snape will reveal his true side and help Harry kill Voldemort but die in the process. Snape is just about the best Wizard around at Occulemency , so it is likely only him and Dumbledore could have kept this a secret from Voldemort.

Great book though, and needed the tissues !

Ok I only just finished the book (was on holiday with friends the week after it came out and didn't have a chance to read so started this week and am not particularly fast!)

I dunno, I didn't really like this book that much, the whole Ron/Hermione, Harry/Ginny and the backstory of Voldermort just seemed to drag on a bit too much for my liking... for me it didn't really pick up with the usual "can't put it down" that for me in the other books lasted most of the way through, this time it was only the last 5 chapters ish that I found "moreish." But obviously I'm gonna read on with the last book when it comes out (eventually!)

I'm still a bit cross with myself, I actually felt sorry for Voldermort... I know the whole orphanage thing was trying to do that but the sympathy I felt didn't really feel like it had much to do with that... yeah I know I'm weird!

Also does anyone else think it's a bit weird that Harry doesn't actually come face to face with Voldermort atall in this book... maybe something about numbers as 3 didn't have any either.... 3, 6 - common numbers? It's a little far fetched but I'm probably only thinknig it coz I was fully expecting some sort of face to face battling especially since there wasn't much in OOTP either... I guess it's all just a big build up for the final showdown in book 7...

Anyways I'm off to speculate!

• Showmasters Admin

I wasn't too upset about Dumbledore's death, especially compared to Sirius' death. I think that had a lot to do with the speculation beforehand (not on this forum!) about who was going to die. I KNEW it was going to be Dumbledore (especially after the whole thing with the betting company closing the books when several large bets were put on Dumbledore in the city where the books were printed). There was no great shock like there was with Sirius. It did kind of spoil it for me. I spent whole chapters just waiting for the death scene.

Next time I'm just going to lock myself away for 6 months so I don't find out ANYTHING about the last book!

Andrea

I figured Dumbledore would die (I thought he was going to die in the last book actually) but I don't think he is totally gone I still think part of him is alive, he has to turn up in the next book some how to help Harry out.

Never figured out Harry & Ginny getting together at all but new Ron & Hermoine would get together in the end its been hinting at it for so long now.

Still not 100% sure about Snape, if you remember the beginning of the book and the unbreakable curse that Snape done with Draco's mother Snape had no choice but to kill Dumbledore or he himself would have died but think Dumbledore knew this and he was not worried about, i'll have to wait and see what happens to Snape in the next book.

The next book should be really good with them now all looking for the Horcrux's but will be strange with them not being at Hogwarts now, I think they will have to return to Hogwarts at some point maybe for the final big battle.

Only thing that I did not like about this book were, when Harry & Dumbledore were trying to get the Horcrux and they went across the river with all the dead bodies in it remind me alot of the Dead Marsh in Lord of the Rings other than that it was an ok book.

It's all very exciting speculating about what's going to happen next, the suspense is killing me! It's also driving me insane... well, more than usual. Wondering about the events and how they will effect the next book is so mentally exhausting, but fun.

I keep meaning to re-read the book, but I can't bring myself to do it, i'm not ready to put myself through the drama and the agony, the extreme pain.... Especially of having to read the bit where Pansy bloody Parkinson touches Draco's hair! That's not allowed! How can Draco go around having perfect hair if she has had her hands all over it?! I tell you! It's wrong and I am not amused. What would Lucius say? Would he approve? I think not! Not impressed, that girl needs a slap.

If there's any hair stroking to be done for any of the Malfoy's, I volunteer myself to do it. I've had plenty of experience.

i understand where your coming form with ginny being in danger with or without harry nearby but perhaps tis best that they arent togetehr becasue she would be a distraction? if she was with him, knowing harry he would be more worried about her being ok than paying attention to the horcruxes and find them/getting them.

if he succeeds shell (hopefully) still be there when hes finished voldy off.

i did actually feel slightly sorry for tom, if his life had been just a little different, if his mom hadnt died then he probably wouldnt have turned out the way he did.

looking forward to tom playing draco as well, thats if he continues in the films of couirse. i wonder if theyll make him cry. actually that whole scene where harry uses dark magic against him will probably be really good - scary but good

i understand where your coming form with ginny being in danger with or without harry nearby but perhaps tis best that they arent togetehr becasue she would be a distraction? if she was with him, knowing harry he would be more worried about her being ok than paying attention to the horcruxes and find them/getting them.

Cazzie, OK. That's a POV I can understand. That makes sense. It was just that he TOLD her he didn't want her in danger when Mrs. Weasley's clock says so clearly that she already IS in "mortal peril". Maybe it was just because he's still young and not yet able to clearly articulate all the feelings and impressions he's getting from the world falling apart around him.

Cazzie, OK. That's a POV I can understand. That makes sense. It was just that he TOLD her he didn't want her in danger when Mrs. Weasley's clock says so clearly that she already IS in "mortal peril". Maybe it was just because he's still young and not yet able to clearly articulate all the feelings and impressions he's getting from the world falling apart around him.

If you put on your Evil Wizards hat, and think of how you would want to ensure a showdown with Harry, you would look to getting someone or something that is very close to him, which is likely to be either Ron, Hermione or Ginny. With Harry breaking up with Ginny it makes her more exposed to Voldemort kidnapping her, than if Harry was with her. At least if she stayed with Ron, Hermione and Hary they would be able to protect her.

Presumably even if Voldemort isn't the greatest at reading minds, both Draco and Snape will be aware of Harry's feelings for Ginny so either way she would be the likely target for Voldemort in book 7.

Having said all that, maybe Voldemort doesn't even need to do that anyway as he surely is powerful enough to track down Harry anyway without this move.

Hmmmnn, my concerns are that Harry just doesn't have enough experience and knowledge to fight Voldemort, now that Dumbledore is dead,( unless he can somehow teach him something from beyond the grave).

This was highlighted with the outing to the cave, when Harry didn't have a clue on how Dumbledore found the hidden entrance and magic that Voldemort left behind...

I am really hoping that Harry finds a teacher that can show him how to develope his skills much more,seeing as he isn't going back to Hogwarts.....

I don't think it is enough that Harry has love on his side( or at least the capacity to love, unlike Voldemort), as that will just be a cop out,if that is all he needs....

Harry's skills as a wizard are completely under developed at the moment, and I'd like to see in the next book how JKR is going to tackle this problem.....

Edited by Mich

Hmmmnn, my concerns are that Harry just doesn't have enough experience and knowledge to fight Voldemort, now that Dumbledore is dead,( unless he can somehow teach him something from beyond the grave).

This was highlighted with the outing to the cave, when Harry didn't have a clue on how Dumbledore found the hidden entrance and magic that Voldemort left behind...

I am really hoping that Harry finds a teacher that can show him how to develope his skills much more,seeing as he isn't going back to Hogwarts.....

I don't think it is enough that Harry has love on his side( or at least the capacity to love, unlike Voldemort), as that will just be a cop out,if that is all he needs....

Harry's skills as a wizard are completely under developed at the moment, and I'd like to see in the next book how JKR is going to tackle this problem.....

i agree thats my concern. if hes not going back to school then how will he develop his skills? im not saying i want him to go back to hogwarts because i honestly think its a good idea not to, i cant imagien harry sitting through pointless classes when hes got a job to do. thats if hogwarts even remains open.

but as you said he hasnt developed enough as a wizard yet to even become close to winning against voldemort, he couldnt even fight snape. Saying that though, Harry and Voldemort wont be able to fight with magic will they? there wands dont allow it so what will happen on that front?

As for Ginny, i think if she isnt with Harry she will be protected by her family or the hogwarts teachers. You never know she may end up with Harry anyway. I know she said she understands his point of view but we know how stubborn she can be and she might change her mind and go along anyway. I guess it really depends if Hogwarts remains open. Ginny hasnt qualified yet as an overage witch so unless the ministry slacken up she wont be able to help on a magical front until its term time anwyay. And if Hogwarts doesnt reopen, will underage wizards/witches be allowed to do magic freely?

i agree thats my concern.  if hes not going back to school then how will he develop his skills? im not saying i want him to go back to hogwarts because i honestly think its a good idea not to, i cant imagien harry sitting through pointless classes when hes got a job to do.  thats if hogwarts even remains open.

but as you said he hasnt developed enough as a wizard yet to even become close to winning against voldemort, he couldnt even fight snape.  Saying that though, Harry and Voldemort wont be able to fight with magic will they? there wands dont allow it so what will happen on that front?

As for Ginny, i think if she isnt with Harry she will be protected by her family or the hogwarts teachers.  You never know she may end up with Harry anyway.  I know she said she understands his point of view but we know how stubborn she can be and she might change her mind and go along anyway.  I guess it really depends if Hogwarts remains open.  Ginny hasnt qualified yet as an overage witch so unless the ministry slacken up she wont be able to help on a magical front until its term time anwyay.  And if Hogwarts doesnt reopen, will underage wizards/witches be allowed to do magic freely?

i agree thats my concern.  if hes not going back to school then how will he develop his skills? im not saying i want him to go back to hogwarts because i honestly think its a good idea not to, i cant imagien harry sitting through pointless classes when hes got a job to do.  thats if hogwarts even remains open.

Yep, that's true too....would be a waste of time....

Saying that though, Harry and Voldemort wont be able to fight with magic will they? there wands dont allow it so what will happen on that front?

Hmmnn, well they are gonna have to use magic of somesorts( prolly non-verbal), otherwise it's just going to be an anti-climax...

I think that It's a bit irrelevant about whether Ginny goes with Harry or not...Bigger fish to fry....( Just get together at the end) ;)

This was highlighted with the outing to the cave, when Harry didn't have  a clue on how Dumbledore found the hidden entrance and  magic that Voldemort  left behind...

i agree thats my concern. if hes not going back to school then how will he develop his skills? im not saying i want him to go back to hogwarts because i honestly think its a good idea not to, i cant imagien harry sitting through pointless classes when hes got a job to do. thats if hogwarts even remains open.

but as you said he hasnt developed enough as a wizard yet to even become close to winning against voldemort, he couldnt even fight snape. Saying that though, Harry and Voldemort wont be able to fight with magic will they? there wands dont allow it so what will happen on that front?

As for Ginny, i think if she isnt with Harry she will be protected by her family or the hogwarts teachers. You never know she may end up with Harry anyway. I know she said she understands his point of view but we know how stubborn she can be and she might change her mind and go along anyway. I guess it really depends if Hogwarts remains open. Ginny hasnt qualified yet as an overage witch so unless the ministry slacken up she wont be able to help on a magical front until its term time anwyay. And if Hogwarts doesnt reopen, will underage wizards/witches be allowed to do magic freely?

the hogwarts teachers have so many more students to protect than just ginny and they did not protect her very well in COS. anyone associated with harry is in danger and especially Ron, Hermione and Ginny. So they should all be with him.

im under the asumption that regulus would have needed to have someone with him to get to the locket. but who was it??? and if regulus was 19 at the time (according to lexicon) it has to be someone under 17. the boat would only take one wizard.

so who do we know that would be under 17 the year james and lily were killed?

or of course what if it were a muggle? or a squib? i mean the boat can only take one magical person! so who was with regulus???

=x=

• Showmasters Admin

By my understanding you don't NEED 2 people to complete the task. Dumbledore invited Harry to accompany him to find the horcrux, and admittedly he did need his help but this could well be down to his age and physical fitness at the time. A younger wizard who had an intimate knowledge of the dark arts and Voldemort could have complete the task without help.

Andrea

By my understanding you don't NEED 2 people to complete the task. Dumbledore invited Harry to accompany him to find the horcrux, and admittedly he did need his help but this could well be down to his age and physical fitness at the time. A younger wizard who had an intimate knowledge of the dark arts and Voldemort could have complete the task without help.

Andrea

thats true i think, but it would be convienient if Kreacher did go with Regalus, assuming its him of cause

This was highlighted with the outing to the cave, when Harry didn't have  a clue on how Dumbledore found the hidden entrance and  magic that Voldemort  left behind...

the hogwarts teachers have so many more students to protect than just ginny and they did not protect her very well in COS. anyone associated with harry is in danger and especially Ron, Hermione and Ginny. So they should all be with him.

but then where would it stop? if everyone he knows is in danger then surely that would mean not only Ginny, but all the weasleys, dean, seamus etc must go with him as well.

Andrea

thats a good point actually. though i still think that it was a two persob job.

=x=

Andrea

=x=

Yeah because Dumbledore said that you needed two, to keep the person drinking the potion...well, drinking it...

Andrea

=x=

Yeah because Dumbledore said that you needed two, to keep the person drinking the potion...well, drinking it...

yeah. thats my assumption. so im back to thinking who went with regulus.

hmmm.

=x=

Saying that though, Harry and Voldemort wont be able to fight with magic will they? there wands dont allow it so what will happen on that front?

well, does the prophecy or whatever say that HARRY must kill Voldy or just that Harry's wand must be the caster of the spell? Because, if its only the wand then someone else could kill him.

But, surely a skilled wizard like Voldy would be able to do wandless magic, couldnt he just kill Harry using that?