Last Post Wins?

Nell

Well some people are kind.

Today, the train station. Tried to buy the ticket and the machine was a b... first it rejected my card, then it froze, then it didnt want to type the town name. Finally got it and had like enough money to put in with like 5p and 2p. I thought it will not be enough! So 10 minutes later I am still there, the train came and I am half way through putting my money in and I thought that I will have to wait an hour for another bloomin train. So I turned around and the train is still there. Mister Driver was standing and looking through the window waiting for me!! I was like omg that was so nice!

• Like 4

Right, prepare yourself for my train driver story, it's a rollercoaster of emotions featuring drama, physical exertion, peril and both kindness and a lack of it.

About 5 or so years ago I went to a wrestling show in Sudbury, Suffolk. It ran late, and despite my best efforts at actual running I arrived at their one track, end-of-the-line railway station just in time to see the last train of the night start to move. I saw the driver looking at me through the back window of the train - a position from where he must have been able to see my vain attempt to make it on time. He shrugged at me. Shrugged I tells ya.

So there was me, poor little nate, stranded. In Suffolk. It was dark, getting cold, and there were probably street gangs hiding around the Waitrose car park. Before the trip I had considered staying the night in a hotel, so I made my way towards said establishment. I spoke to someone through an intercom, but no room or other assistance was forthcoming. 

I wandered back towards the town centre, when I spotted a public house which promised rooms available! I entered the establishment, which was near empty and clearly ready for closing time. I enquired about their rooms, but alas, much like for the baby Jesus's Mum and Stepdad there was no room at the inn. However (and this is where the kindness kicks in) the sturdy landlady offered to ring a nearby hotel of which she knew, who thankfully happened to have a room available. My night surviving on the mean streets of Sudbury had been averted.

Following rudimentary directions I made my way through the streets until I reached my abode for the night, a delightful place by the name of the Mill Hotel (http://www.themillhotelsudbury.co.uk/ - Call 01787 375544 for our best rate guaranteed). Due to diabolical Sunday train schedules I decided to stay a second night and called in sick on the Monday: I spent a quite lovely Sunday in Sudbury, a delightful place featuring the house of Thomas Gainsborough. He did paintings and stuff.

Kindness addendum: Returning home after my ordeal, I posted on the Twitter about how the show overrunning had led to my problems, to which the promoter of the show got in touch, apologised and offered to send me a free DVD of the show. Also, due to his ties with the local council, he got the train timetable amended so the last train left later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Lets the lemming escape because he's going to be throwing himself of a cliff in a minute anyway, if you believe Mr Disney.

You'll have to corner me on a cliff first, m'lady. ;)